Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cath and Other Stuff

The day before we went to the hospital.
I know...I have been a horrible blogger.  I did really good keeping up with facebook while we were in the hospital, but I want to catch everyone up on what has been going on in our lives.

After they did the IV...just hanging out in her big bed.
First...we are home and all went better than I expected.  We did spend Monday night in the hospital getting IV fluids.  It really wasn't too bad but the lack of sleep was hard for me.  Hope and daddy managed to get some sleep that night, but I am a light sleeper and really need a real bed to sleep.  We took Hope down to the new cath lab, which is really nice, around 9am.  She got some Versed through her IV and was so cute for everyone...laughing and smiling and entertaining all the doctors.  I wish I had remembered my video camera because it was really super cute. 

After the cath...laying still for 6 hours.  She was very puffy from all the fluids, but peed it all out before we left.
We had a pre-cath huddle with Dr. Prieto, anesthesia, the fellows, and everyone else that was going to be helping with the cath.  Dr. Prieto discussed the hope of getting some arterial access through her femoral artery to check pressures and possibly coil off some collaterals.  Her femoral arteries were occluded thanks to another hospital leaving IVs in there too long (ughhh).  Anyway...they were able to get access and that was great news.  She did dilate (balloon) her left pulmonary artery to 4 1/2 mm.  It is still very small, but it is now the same at all parts of the artery.  The whole cath took about 1/2 hour after they got access and I love it!  She was done around 10:30 and in recovery at 11:00.  Of course I pestered Dr. Prieto into trying to get us out and home that night.  Usually when they do an intervention (like the dilation), they like to have the little ones stay the night.  We try to get out of the hospital as soon as possible...that is where all the sick people are and the longer you are there...the better the chance of you or your little one catching something really icky.  I also know that Hope recovers MUCH better at home.  So, when we got back to our penthouse suite (which we really did get a nice room after spending the night in the pod) we put on the board that we were working on getting discharged. 

Packed and ready to go home.  She is still a little puffy in this picture, but she was so ready to go home.
The nurse we had was pretty good, but I really pushed to make sure we had an echo done, any bloodwork that was needed, all paperwork, and meetings with Dr. Prieto and Dr. Kwon.  Hope had to lay flat for 6 hours, so we knew the best we could hope for was 6pm.  Although, that really wasn't anticipated because she had to walk around, get all her bandages changed, her IV taken out, and eat and drink something.  Amazingly, we were outta there at 8pm.  It was wonderful being able to go home and sleep and Hope was so excited to see GiGi (my mom), Destiny, Jerry and Paul.  She was laughing and smiling as soon as pulled in the driveway.
Yay...chicken nuggets when we got home.  Yes...the stickers were left on for the night.  We didn't feel the need to take them off and put her in any more pain that night.  She did get her appetite (what little appetite she has) back when we got home!


  1. great job, Hope! It sounds like everything went as well as they could have gone :) They bounce back pretty quickly, don't they? Thanks too for all your encouraging words for Sofia

  2. Ohh she looks so good in the last picture with her baby chub, I hope that's real fat and not fluid. I'm so glad things went well. Go Hope Go !!!

  3. That's so awesome. So awesome. Yay Hope!!

  4. So happy all went well.She looks so good.Please e-mail me when you have a chance at There is something I want to make you aware of.Just a FYI.

  5. Way to go Hope! Tell momma to check the place where the supplies are kept in your hospital room. She might find the magic orange tubes that will help those stickers come off a lot less painfully next time.

    1. Mom needs to find the Versed and take a little home for us too...I totally love that stuff. The stickers came off the next day really well because my little sweat girl decided to play outside and get herself all wet.

  6. Hi! I used to follow Hope's blog religiously and then I fell out of the blogosphere. So good to see that she's doing great. Everett had a cath last month that went well, too. :)