Friday, April 16, 2010

Behind Your Scar


Sometimes I have those "moments",
When I think...life's just not fair,
Then I think of all you've been through,
And I see the scar you bear.
A faded line right down your chest,
Made with such careful precision,
We wanted you to have a chance,
Could there be any other decision?
And so I trace that "perfect" scar,
Made with the utmost care,
And I realize there is purpose,
Behind this scar you wear.
What have you taught us?
You've taught us how to face a storm,
(Some things are just out of our hands)
Life has no handy guidebook,
(Things don't always go as you've planned)
People come into our lives,
(Sometimes it is just for a season)
But God brings them into our lives,
(And I know that He must have a reason)
Normal, uneventful days,
(The kind that we always hoped for)
These are the days I say, "Wow God",
We just never know what lies in store.
If I can place a feeding tube,
Without even getting distraught,
Perhaps, maybe, I might be...
Much stronger than I thought.
It's okay to be afraid,
And it's alright to cry,
It's okay to feel lost sometimes,
It's even okay to ask...why?
You face life with courage,
(Knowing God set you apart)
Every little thing you do,
You do with all of your heart.
No crystal ball exists for us,
(To see us through each strife)
We only have one wish for you...
An ordinary life.
You've taught us to love one another,
(Helping each other to cope)
You've taught us compassion for others,
You've taught us to never lose hope.
You already have quite a story,
Which you can someday share,
And I can see it's beauty,
Behind that scar you wear.

~written by Stephanie Husted, heart mom to Braeden (HLHS)

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for the encouraging comments you left on our blog when our son had surgery last month...I read that your daughter has problems with small pulmonary arteries, too. Andrew has been through countless caths and currently has 3 stents to open his. His next step is surgery- we are living appointment to appointment to see when it will be. Anyway, thanks for visiting our blog! I signed up to follow yours- looking forward to reading more about your precious little girl! :)

    Jen
    www.thehuegelfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete