Thursday, October 28, 2010

Looking Back

This is Hope in her car seat on the day we left the hospital.  She weighed 6 pounds and was 17 inches long.  She still fit into newborn clothes and was fed through an NG tube.
I can't believe it was a year ago today that we brought Hope home for the first time.  She was a little over 6 weeks old and had already stayed at two hospitals and had one open heart surgery.  I was so scared to bring her home...especially on NG feeds.  I hated the thought of having to change her NG tube, if and when she pulled it out.  And she did pull it out.  And I did put it back.  And we did get her to eat well enough to take it out for good.  The day we got to take her home was extremely long.  I stayed the night to make sure I was able to take care of her on my own.  I did everything for her and I loved it.  I didn't get any sleep, but I was so awake all day.  The doctors and nurses were convinced we were ready to go home...they just had a TON of paperwork to get through.  Prescriptions had to be filled, car seat had to be tested, NG tube changed, and all the stuff she/we gathered during her stay had to be packed up and taken home.  Boy did she have a lot of stuff.  We brought things almost every day and her room was always decorated and cozy.  It was the same when she got home.  We finally left the hospital at almost 8pm and it was an hour drive.  We still had to get the NG feed stuff set up at home and get her settled into her bed.  It was a rough night, but one I will NEVER forget.  It was the happiest day of my life and I am sure it was for the boys as well.  Their mommy and sister would be there every day and night.

This is my little smiley girl today.  She does move around a little on her horse.  She weighs 16 pounds and is 28 inches.  She has 4 teeth now and can eat just about anything...and does.
I can't believe how far we have come since that day.  Hope is 10 inches longer and 10 pounds heavier...although you would never guess it with as small as she still is.  She is still a little over 16 pounds and still wearing 6-9 month clothes.  I am guessing she will be in them until sometime next year.  It takes a long time for her to gain an ounce...let alone a pound.  She is eating like crazy...anything and everything (and I mean everything).  I have yet to find a food she does not like.  She is still taking a bottle...only now it is
Pediasure.  She likes to eat so much better than taking the bottle.  We try and give her high calorie foods as much as possible.  She is so active all the time that she uses all the calories she takes in.  She is still not walking, but as soon as she feels comfortable enough to let go of the table or whatever she is holding...she will take off and not stop.  I know the boys are looking forward to her walking and they try and 'help' as much as possible.  She is also getting physical therapy and speech therapy.  She babbles like crazy all the time and it is so darn cute.  She loves to smile and it looks like she is going to bite you when she smiles.  It's funny and I think she likes to make people laugh.

Of course she loves to be outside...and especially when she is playing with the boys!
We are so proud of our little girl.  She has gone through so much and is doing so well.  She is our hero!

6 comments:

  1. She has gotten so big!! She is so absolutely adorable. It's so hard to look back a year later, isn't it? I always look back and think, "How did we even do all of that?" because things seem so "normal" now. :) I'm so glad that Hope is doing so well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special day to celebrate. She is so big and beautiful. I agree with you and Jenny it's funny how they were so little and "fragile" when we brought them home the first time and then to look at them now, you'd never know. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference.. wow!! she's growing so much and getting around now. She completely amazing and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I still also remember praying for her so much and was so happy when she got to go home. So glad that she is doing so well. Thanks for the update she looks fantastic and so nice to see her just having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope is a hero! So glad she is doing so well! The year started rocky but you have the gift of a beautiful daughter. Small is okay, they will catch up oneday.

    Jennifer
    Mommy to Colin

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is just so darn adorable. She has grown so much. I just love her pictures, she seems so happy. I know it hasn't been an easy road but you are doing such an amazing job with her. Your a wonderful mommy!!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete