Friday, September 18, 2009

PIC Line and PICU


Yesterday they tried to insert a PIC Line (peripherally inserted central catheter) so that they would not need to change Hope's IV lines every few days.  A PICC is inserted in a peripheral vein, such as the cephalic vein, basilic vein, or brachial vein and then advanced through increasingly larger veins, toward the heart until the tip rests in the distal superior vena cava or cavoatrial junction.

We were not able to be in the room when they tried to insert the line, but when we came back we found out that they were not able to insert the line.  The nurse told me that is actually pretty common, but it still worries me.  I don't know why it worries me, but every time they do anything I worry constantly.


My Aunt Betty came down from Michigan to visit Hope and spent a lot of time with all of us.  She practices Reiki which is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.  Hope really seemed to relax and everything we can do for her will help.

My dad and Mary were still up from Kentucky and it was nice that they were able to meet Hope.  They are planning to come back next week when we find out the date of her first surgery.


Hope was moved to PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) last night around 7pm.  We went up to see her in her own 'big girl' room and it was really nice.  I like that she has her own room and her own nurse.  Dr. Smith likes to have his babies in PICU before surgery so they can meet the nurses and the nurses can get to know Hope. 

I am pretty sure that I spent too much time on my feet yesterday and they were telling me that last night.  They were swollen so much that I could barely walk when I got home last night.  It is really hard to find time to take care of myself while Hope is in the hospital, but I know I have to at least try.  It is not going to do either of us any good if I get sick and can't visit her.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful Paula! It sounds like you have the best care for her so stay strong and positive! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of yourself, you are right it won't do anyone any good for you to wear yourself out. Stay strong, you have a beautiful daughter. Hope continues to be in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete