Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day


I am the father

My child was born with a heart defect
Its "my job" to be strong 
And tell my wife things will be fine
And pray that I'm not wrong.

And still the bills need to get paid
And things need to be done
And it's so hard just sitting here
"I want to hold my child"!

I lean down as I watch her breathe
"Keep fighting", is my plea
"I thought I'd teach you to be brave
"But Hope, you have taught me".

I hear the beeping of all those machines
They're helping my child to live
I wish that I could take her place
Man, what I would not give!

To have the faith and strength I need
to hold back all my tears
to say I know she'll be okay
despite all of my fears.

I'd only fall down in defeat
when no one is around
I'd be the rock she surely needs
I'd stand on solid ground.

A daddy says," come to my arms
and I'll chase those monster's away"
This daddy's heart cries out to God
and says, "please let her stay".

A daddy needs to cry sometimes
and God must see right through
that " tough daddy exterior"
for He's a daddy too.

~Stephanie Husted

3 comments:

  1. So glad to see that poem making the rounds in tribute to all of the wonderful "heart dads" out there! Hope you guys had a good Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Father's Day !!! Have a Nice Day !!! Best Regards from Mr Lonely at http://www.lonelyreload.com .. do visits my blog when free.. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you guys had a wonderful Father's Day. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete