Thursday, February 7, 2013

CHD Awareness Week Day 1


Today begins a week that is very important to me.  It is a week where I try to spread as much awareness as possible about Congenital Heart Defects.  I try to do this all year, but during this week I go out of my way.  I tell strangers, friends, family, and anyone I see the significance of Congenital Heart Defects and how much they can affect an entire family.

Prior to Hope's diagnosis I had heard about CHDs.  My sister-in-law and her son were both born with CHDs.  They were fairly mild and fixed when they were young.  Now that I know more about CHDs, I know that they were not fixed...they were repaired.  When you have a structural change in your heart when you are born, it can be repaired, but there is no guarantee that it will not be a problem later in life.  Even seemingly simple CHDs may cause issues in the future...they may not, but there is always a chance because the heart was not structurally perfect.

I feel the need to share some facts on the first day of CHD Awareness Week:


  • Congenital heart defects are America’s and every country’s #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 100 babies is born with a CHD.
  • Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths.
  • Congenital heart defects are the leading cause of all infant deaths in the United States.
  • Each year approximately 40,000 babies are born in the United States with a congenital heart defect. Thousands of them will not reach their first birthday and thousands more die before they reach adulthood.
  • Each year over 1,000,000 babies are born worldwide with a congenital heart defect. 100,000 of them will not live to see their first birthday and thousands more die before they reach adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment