Monday, October 5, 2009

A Poem for My Husband

I have to say that Stephanie Husted writes the best poetry around:

I am the father...

My child was born with a heart defect..
Its "my job" to be strong...
And tell my wife things will be fine...
(And pray that I'm not wrong)

And still the bills need to get paid...
And things need to be done...
And it's so hard just sitting here...
"I want to hold my daughter"!

I lean down as I watch her breathe..
"Keep fighting", is my plea..
"I thought I'd teach you to be brave...
"But daughter, you have taught me".

I hear the beeping of all those machines...
(They're helping my child to live)
I wish that I could take her place..
(Man, what I would not give!)

To have the faith and strength I need..
to hold back all my tears...
to say I know she'll be okay...
despite all of my fears...

I'd only fall down in defeat...
when no one is around...
I'd be the rock she surely needs..
I'd stand on solid ground.

A daddy says," come to my arms...
and I'll chase those monster's away"...
This daddy's heart cries out to God...
and says, "please let her stay".

A daddy needs to cry sometimes...
and God must see right through...
that " tough daddy exterior"...
for He's a daddy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment